
One of the things I wanted to do when I came to Grafton, was to find myself. Sounds very existential and a lot of "hippy crap" as someone I once new would have said. Nevertheless, it's true.
I think perhaps this sort of soul searching happens naturally to a lot of people. Particularly once you reach a certain age. Certainly once your children reach a certain age! It's almost for me that I really want to be sure that I'm living the life I want to live. I mean, soon, very soon, the children will have moved out, will be on their own. Even if they haven't actually move away, they will certainly be living their own lives.
And where does that leave me? Well, with myself of course. And I certainly don't want to turn around and say "Jeez, you're bit of a boring old codger, aren't you? What exactly do you do with yourself?" I want my life to be overflowing with possibilities - with activity. With travel, with sports, with the arts, with friends, with family, with life!
And I know I'm craving some intellectual stimulation. Having someone to talk to, to discuss issues with, to comment on an article. To listen to a piece of music, or hear a news article on the radio and not just snap back a sarcastic, or cynical comment. To have an insightful, deep and thoughtful statement to make. Where are these people?
I guess it comes back to the fact that - after living with someone for 15 years, you can't help but be changed by that person - not in a good/bad way, just in a very literal way. Your thought processes, emotional responses, your instincts, they all get slightly...warped is probably the wrong word...perhaps, "nudged" in a marginally different way than they may have if you didn't have that person in your life.
And I had a whole lot of other very insightful crap here, but the damn Blogger has decided to delete it instead of spell checking it. F#^%ing computers.
Let me summarise it for you - I'm steering my own boat now, with no one else telling me were to go, or influencing me with their negativity or pessimism. Let's see where the boat goes now.
No comments:
Post a Comment