Thursday, December 21, 2006

You'd better watch out!

It's that time of year again...Christmas is in the air.

This is the first time in I can't remember when, that I'm able to honestly sit back and enjoy the process of waiting for Christmas Day to approach. Normally, I'm working, frantically shopping, doing last minute planning, and then driving for hours. Only to arrive tired, grumpy and in a mess.

This year, I'm not driving anywhere. I'm already here! I have family all around me and I'm already on holidays. I've even managed to do most of my Christmas shopping already. Internet shopping is just a genius solution. I hate Christmas crowds, and I've managed to get all the difficult purchases on line this year.

We have our Christmas tree up here - the little boys helped Nanny decorate it. We're doing the tour of the Christmas lights tonight - I'm taking Sam and Jake around to have a look once it gets dark. It's really lovely to be able to be there when this is on. Christmas has always been a very traditional, and ritual time in our family, like many. Certain things have to be done, in certain ways. Truth be known, I love it...it's the continuity, and the sense of belonging.

I received my first Christmas card addressed to me in Grafton today - a beautifully hand made card from one of my close friends in Brissie (Hugs Tren). It made me remember how much I love getting stuff in the mail. Emails are fine, but there's something so much nicer about opening an envelope and holding something in your hands and reading it...I can't explain why. It just is. Jenna seems to agree - she's started writing to friends in Brissie, and she just loves getting mail too. Even though she's on MSN perpetually, and can talk to whomever she likes on the phone - funny that.

I read a great book recently - hang on, while I go check the author...

Right...
It's called "When in Rome - Chasing la Dolce Vita" by Penelope Green. It's a travel book and it details her attempts to move to Rome, and live there as one of the locals - learning the language first hand. It's a fascinating, warts and all look at changing your life radically, and stepping outside your comfort zone. What a huge step. She's a 30 year old city girl, who had a high powered career, that just felt like she wasn't experiencing life close enough. It did resonate closely with me. She talks about sitting in a cafe and looking at the people, looking at the landscape, being actually "in" the environment, rather than just passing through it. That's how I feel now - I'm here, not just waiting to have time to stop and be here.

I find it so much more thrilling to go down and walk around barefoot in the backyard, checking out the vege patch than to be spending all my life at the computer. I can't WAIT to get my own little patch of dirt, with a house on it, I hope.

Went and had a look at an open house last week, actually. Was a nice enough place - 6 big bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, in ground pool, old settlers cottage that had been done up and extended. Had loads of character. They just want about $50K too much. It would take that to fix the problems with it. Probably more. Was really very nice though. Ah well. Next year I'll be making that final decision. To stay, or to return to the city.

I can't get over the rain down here! It rains nearly every week. A storm, a shower a steady two days of constant steady pouring. It's great. Everything is so green and beautiful. It's also been relatively mild, for summer. I went and put in an air conditioner in my room, ready for the stinking hot, muggy nights we get down here - of course, that has immediately sent them packing. It's a bit like when I was in Brisbane - the instant I would wash my dogs, or my car it would rain, despite us being in a drought. Bloody Murphy and his luck.

Next year is going to be an interesting one. I'll have to start thinking about resolutions. Not that I'm really very good at keeping them. But still. One should make an effort, really.

No comments: