Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pain Management

So, update on the pain story:

  • on the days I go to physio - the days are easy to manage the pain with paracetamol, codeine and ibuprofen
  • the nights are awful - have to get up in the middle for around 2 hrs to settle the muscle seizure in my shoulder/back and then try to go back to sleep
  • on the days I don't go to physio - the days are still fairly easy to manage, although I'm more careful to remember my pain meds exactly on time
  • the nights are ok - only wake twice and after heat pack/cream/exercise I can go back to sleep
  • Have halved the amount of codeine I'm taking and the ibuprofen, so now on over the counter meds yay!
  • Nothing works at night anyway, so it doesn't really matter what I'm taking - even sleeping pills don't work
  • Haven't had to have a hot bath to relax muscles in about a week


Dr has results of Bone scan which indicate possible degenerative bone disease in my neck vertebrae and so have been referred to a Rheumatologist (sp?). Don't get in until end of August, but on the waiting list if there are any cancellations.


So from now, it's just slowly trying to reduce the inflammation and get mobility back in my  joints with physio, exercise and pain killers. Hopefully I will be able to reduce the pain killers over the next few weeks, as I'm worried how long I've been taking the anti-inflammatory...they have a good chance at developing ulcers if you take them too long.


Going to try to go back to work next week - probably for only half days, and may work from home some days. Missing it badly :-(

No comments: