Sunday, April 02, 2006

My Boy/Man


It's taken a while, but he's definitely on his way to becoming a man.

It's a long and hard journey, the one from child to adult. I can remember the drama, the trauma, the absolute tragedy of it all...so overwhelmingly emotional that all other things paled in comparison.

When I think about it, Mathew has done the journey from 12 to 16 very well indeed. Much better that I handled it, come to think about it. Perhaps that's just because he's a boy, and didn't have all the bitchy catfighting to deal with. Maybe he's just wiser than I was.


Just when I thought he was never going to get there, he comes out with something adult, insightful, considered.

I mean, of course he's still a little boy inside...he throws those tantrums that all little boys do. But then, something tells me that they never grow out of that. I see grown men throwing tantrums that would make a 2 year old proud on a regular basis, without a thought in the world they are being absolutely ridiculous!

It's the man inside him that gives me pause...makes me realise that all my hopes for him are going to be realised. He is a kind and empathetic person. He is intelligent, caring and creative being...he experiences art, music and drama straight to the core of his soul.
He needs to be needed, like anyone else, and loves being around people and enjoying their company.

He is a champion for the underdog...the overweight kid at school, the odd man out. I know that if Mathew was ever picking teams at school, it would be the dorky kid that everyone made fun of that Mathew would pick to be on his team.

Mathew would never come out and say it, but he loves his sister dearly. He is protective, in his own way, and is just welcoming her into the teenage years as he realises she's not a child anymore either. In fact, she's going through the same things he went through, and he understands.

He adores kids, thinks they're just the most delightful little creatures on the planet. His cousins are the light of his life; Jacob for his boyish enthusiasm, Sam for his serious depths, Megan for her giggles, and Zoe because he recognises she's special.

He makes me proud.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: